Monday, 24 October 2011

MONDAY MAGIC - Keziah Hill

Changing genres

Thanks Maggie for letting me visit!

Lots of writers change genres in their careers or write different genres under different
names. That’s what I’m doing. Keziah Hill has been writing erotica for a few years but
Deborah Tait wants to come out and play. Specifically she wants to write mystery and
crime.

The crime genre with all its sub-genres (romantic suspense, thrillers, cozy mysteries,
hardboiled, police procedurals etc, etc.) have always been my first love. Many years ago
(more than I care to remember), I devoured Dorothy L Sayers novels when I was first at
university. I was lonely, struggling with new found independence and if memory serves me
correctly, in a state of unrequited love (a typical state for me in my early adulthood).

DLS and later Margery Allingham, both the Grand Dames of the Golden Years of women’s
crime writing, provided me with an escape. I loved the 1920s and 1930s settings and the
touch of romance in each series (more so in DLS. Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane.
Sigh.)

I went on to read widely in the genre starting with the other greats like Raymond Chandler
and Dashiell Hammett, to some of our Aussie homegrown greats like Peter Corris and
Marele Day.

When I started writing seriously, I couldn’t get away from writing romance and erotica. But
in the back of my mind, I knew I wanted to write mystery and crime. After a career working
in the criminal justice system, I had lots of stories bubbling around in my brain. Finally, a
woman just out of jail wandered into my mental landscape and I’ve been dancing with her
for a few months now.

I haven’t stopped writing erotica, in fact I’m working on a series called the Children of
Aphrodite, but the story of my heroine the train of events she starts by just getting out of
jail have occupied my girls in the basement. They want her story told. So, lots of computer
time ahead.

If you want to read some Australian women crimes writers (makes a break from the
Swedes and the Norwegians) you could start with this year’s Davitt Award winners,
recently presented at SheKilda, the Sisters in Crime Australia conference.
http://fairdinkumcrime.com/2011/10/09/the-2011-davitt-award-winners-are/

I have a story up at the Erotica Readers and Writers Association website that is a light
hearted combination of erotica and crime, “Laying Down the Law.” http://erotica-readers.com/GD/TC-EF/Laying.htm

You can buy my erotic duo “Friends and Lovers: Two Erotic Tales” from Amazon and other
online bookshops. http://tinyurl.com/3hpz358

Keziah Hill is here http://www.keziahhill.com and Deborah Tait http://www.deborahtait.com
is here.

11 comments:

Fiona Lowe said...

So great you're excited about your new direction.

Cheryl Leigh said...

Hi Maggie, Hi Keziah!

All the best for your change in genre! Your career must supply great fodder for writing crime and mystery. :) Love the new name!

Keziah Hill said...

I am Fiona, very excited. Just need some more hours in the day!

Keziah Hill said...

Thanks Cheryl. I do have a lot of experiences that inspire me. Hopefully more to come!

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Keziah,
Congratulations on your new venture. You could always combine new with old and go for Erotic Crime and Mystery??

Cheers

Margaret

Lisabet Sarai said...

Hi, Keziah!!

Long time! I applaud your desire to write mystery. My husband is always encouraging me to write one but somehow the erotic interest always takes over...

I was thinking about your story even before you mentioned it. Just yesterday I was paging through CREAM and noticed it (with a big smile).

In fact - time for a plug here - CREAM: THE BEST OF THE EROTICA READERS & WRITERS ASSOCIATION, which I edited and which contains Keziah's "Laying Down the Law" as well as more than three dozen other fabulous tales (edited by me!) is available now for Kindle. What are you waiting for?

Hugs,
Lisabet

Keziah Hill said...

Thanks Margaret! Yes it's a great anthology Lisabet :-)

Cathryn Hein said...

Wishing you all the best with your foray into crime, Keziah...or should I say Deborah?

Sigh. I ADORE crime books, the darker the better, and I'd so love to write one but I just can't seem to get my head into the zone. Doubt I ever will. So I'm very immpressed with your direction. Good luck!

Angela Verdenius said...

Hey Kez - one of the best romantic suspense with a lot of crime has to be R D Jobb's Eve Dallas books. They are great. I'm going to check out some of the authors you mentioned, too!

Keziah Hill said...

Hi Cathryn,
Keziah, Deborah, hey you, it doesn't matter!

Keziah Hill said...

Hi Angela, I'm a voracious reader of JD Robb. I'll be doing well to get to that dizzy height!